Advanced Dental Hygiene
We firmly believe that good periodontal health is the foundation for your oral and overall health.
Dental Hygiene & Cleanings
Creating healthy smiles depends on daily maintenance, both at home with a toothbrush and floss, and at our office with dental exams and dental cleanings. To help our patients enjoy optimal oral health, we recommend visiting our office at least twice a year for a professional cleaning and comprehensive exam.
First Dental Visit Expectations
Are you visiting Princeton Center for Dental Aesthetic and Implants for the first time? When you come in, you can expect a friendly greeting from our team. Then, after a tour of our office, a hygienist or dental assistant will walk you back to your chair and make sure that you're comfortable.
Your first visit will include:
- Soft tissue exam and oral screening to identify changes in the tissues of the mouth.
- The CariFree Caries Risk Assessment is a cavity-management program designed to assess your individual risk for developing decay. Research shows patients that participate in the program can reduce their incidents of decay by up to 74%. This free assessment determines what specific behaviors or health concerns are contributing to your risk for decay and includes a painless bacterial test to tell you if you have the type of bacteria present that leads to cavities.
- Periodontal Evaluation for both new and existing patients, is a series of steps our dentists follow to determine the health of your gum tissue. Depending on the results of the
examination, our dentists will diagnose existing periodontal disease, establish periodontal prognosis, and if necessary determine the necessary periodontal treatment.
- Digital X-rays of your teeth, unless you have had x-rays recently. Standard of care states a full set of x-rays should be taken every three to five years, and bite wing x-rays should be taken every year. The x-rays help locate disease and decay not seen by the naked eye.
- Caries Evaluation with:
- The Diagnodent cavity detecting device is a high tech laser fluorescence caries detection aid which measures changes in tooth structure cause by caries (cavities). It is especially useful for pit and fissure areas - even when the outer tooth structure seems to be intact. This device is over 90% accurate in detecting early cavities.
- Spectra Caries Detection Aid is a digital imaging product used as an aid in caries detection. The hand-held unit is the size and shape of an intraoral camera and detects tooth decay by measuring increased light-induced fluorescence. Spectra is designed to identify cariogenic bacteria in fissures on occlusal surfaces. Spectra can also be used during the restorative phase to verify that all caries have been removed. A visual display on the monitor shows caries in red and healthy tooth enamel in green. Along with the colors, a numerical reading defines the potential caries activity on a scale from O to 5.
- Preventive cleaning, which includes cleaning and polishing your teeth to remove plaque (a biofilm of bacteria on teeth that produces the acid that causes tooth decay).
- Home care instructions your dental hygienist will also teach proper brushing and flossing and answer your questions about cavity prevention or dentar hygiene.
- Oral cancer screening (Velscope) during regular dental cleanings and checkups. With this quick but essential service, we can help you monitor your smile for signs of this deadly disease. In too many cases, oral cancer isn't diagnosed until a full recovery is difficult or impossible.
- Sealants. fluoride treatment. or fluoride varnish. based on need
- Comprehensive Oral Examination One of our dentists will perform a complete comprehensive oral examination, review you radiographs, and determine if any further treatment is needed.
We use a technique called “digital radiography” which utilizes an electronic sensor (instead of X-ray film) to
capture an electronic dental image that can be viewed almost immediately on a computer screen. One of the biggest benefits of this innovation is the substantial reduction in radiation exposure — up to 90% less in comparison to traditional X-rays. It’s definitely a better health option.
Oral Cancer Screening
This technology looks deep within the tissue to where oral cancer and its precursors begin. The VELscope System creates a reaction that can make unhealthy tissue easier to differentiate from healthy tissue, and particularly sensitive to the early signs of disease.
Laser Cavity-Detection System
DIAGNOdent is a revolutionary technology that allows us to thoroughly inspect your teeth. By comparing reflection wavelengths, we can detect decay in tooth grooves, fissures and cracks – the type of decay that could otherwise go undetected.
Call 609-924-1414 to schedule an appointment at Princeton Center for Dental Aesthetics and Implants today.